Malt Messenger Bulletin – Fall Tasting Schedule Whisky Advent 2018
The whisky weather has struck early in Alberta and other parts of Western Canada. I hope this doesn’t come across as cold comfort, but we have some whisky news that might just warm you up and brighten these cold late summer days a little. It has been a wee while since the last Malt Messenger and there is lots of news to share. I will have a full Malt Messenger out next week, but in the meantime hopefully this Malt Messenger Bulletin will fill the gap. Only a few pieces of whisky news for you, but they are all yuge!
First and foremost, we are now taking pre-orders for our Kensington Wine Market 2018 Whisky Advent Calendar. The 2018 Edition features 25 all-new, never before featured whiskies. There are 24 50ml whiskies, one for every day of Advent, and a 25th100ml Scotch Malt Whisky Society whisky for Christmas Day. There is also a custom glass and discount card. This year’s edition includes no fewer than 7 single casks, 6 of them bottled exclusively for Kensington Wine Market.
We are offering early bird pricing of $340+gst on KWM 2018 Whisky Advent Calendars ordered before September 30, 2018. The price will be going up to $375+gst on October 1. This is a savings, including tax, of more than $35! More details below.
Secondly, our Fall 2018 Tasting Schedule is Now Online and Open for Registration. We have fun and educational Wine, Whisky, Beer and Spirits tastings for every budget now through the first days of December. This year we have added a second night for our ever-popular Fall Single Malt Festival. This bi-annual event, November 8, is always popular, and sells out early. Fortunately we decided to add a second night for the event (November 15th) and it is a good thing we did, the November 8 event is already sold out…
There are lots of great whisky and other spirits tastings coming up. Classic Single Malts, our intoduction to the world of Scotch whisky and SPEY Single Malt are coming up in the next few weeks. The SPEY tasting will feature six whiskies from the “Speyside Distillery” (not to be confused with the region), and will be hosted by Paul Dempsey, Brand Ambassador for Speyside Distillers. More details on the Fall Tasting Schedule below!
Finally, the Fall KWM Wine Times Newsletter is on its way to mailboxes near you. You can view online on our website now. One thing might stick out at the bottom of the page. Hunter Sullivan, a beloved member of the Kensington Wine Market team, has moved on. He will be missed and we wish him the best in all his future endeavours!
I hope you enjoy this Malt Messenger Bulletin!
In This Edition
Kensington Wine Market
PS – Don’t forget you can follow me on Twitter:
The Kensinton Wine Market 2018 Whisky Advent Calendar
Early Bird Pricing in Effect – SAVE $35 Until September 30th, 2018
25 Days of Dram Fine Whisky is Back! SAVE $35+gst, by pre-ordering your Kensington Wine Market 2018 Whisky Advent Calendar before October 1st. This years edition features 25 all new whiskies, with a high proportion of single casks, and independent bottlings. The bulk of the Calendar is single malt Scotch whisky, with a few single malts from Canada, England and France. We will also have a Japanese whisky in the 2018 edition for the first time!
The KWM Whisky Advent Calendar consists of 24 50ml premium whiskies, one for each day of Advent. There is also a bonus 25th bottle, a 100ml Scotch Malt Whisky Society cask strength, single cask, single malt Scotch whisky. This year’s Society whisky will only be featured in the Calendar. You can follow along on social media with us, as well as on the KWM Blog, as we highlight the day’s whisky and its producer. The Whisky Advent Calendar also includes a discount card, giving you the chance to save on any must have bottles…
The KWM 2018 Whsky Advent Calendar will be ready for pickup around the beginning of November. We are taking pre-orders now, including a $150 deposit. The balance of payment will be applied a week before the Calendars are ready for pickup. Order a KWM 2018 Whisky Advent Calendar for yourself or as a gift before October 1, and you will be able to take advantage of our $35 early bird discount.
You can order the Kensington Wine Market 2018 Whisky Advent Calendar in-store, by phone 403-283-8000 and online.
The Fall 2018 KWM Whisky Tasting Schedule
Why Bother Trying to Resist
Our Fall Tasting Schedule has been online for about a week and a few of the tastings have al ready sold out, including last week’s “Introducing GlenAllachie” tasting with Alasdair Stevenson and this coming week’s “Rare Cadenhead” tasting. Our ever popular and legendary Fall Single Malt Festival has also sold out. No surprise there, it is always popular and one of the first tastings to fill. But fret not, we have added a second festival night, Thursday November 15. The whisky featured both nights will be equally impressive. Here is the tasting schedule:
- Introducing GlenAllachie – Tuesday September 11, 7PM -Billy Walker’s sale of BenRiach and GlenDronach to Brown-Forman was not his swan song. He had another act to stage; the birth of GlenAllachie as a single malt brand. Join the KWM team as we introduce you to their fabulous new core range of whiskies. – $20 – SOLD OUT
- Rare Cadenhead Single Malts – Tuesday September 18, 7PM – We get an amazing range of single malts from Cadenhead. Take Small Batch release #20 for example. We’ll work through a range of 7 whiskies distilled between 1989 and 1997. That’s seven whiskies 20 to 28 years of age, 180 years total… for $50! – $50 – SOLD OUT
- Classic Single Malts – Tuesday, September 25th, 7pm – Forget regions, they are meaningless! Our introduction to the world of Single Malt Scotch Whisky is all about flavour. Are you ready to explore? – $35
- SPEY Single Malt – Tuesday, October 2nd, 7pm – The Speyside Distillery’s whisky, to avoid confusion with the Speyside region, trades under the name SPEY. We will work our way through the distillery’s range up to and including the legendary Lord Byron! – $20
- Making Bourbon Great Again -Thursday, October 11th, 7PM – Trump might be an a–hole, but we still love Bourbon in spite of a less than great US President with no taste! We’ll take you on a trip down the Kentucky Bourbon Trail, and to other parts of America, all in search of Great American Whiskey! – $30
- Very Rare Cadenhead – Tuesday, October 16th, 7PM – We will dig into some real curiosities at this tasting, including a 1973 blend, a 1989 Bunnahabhain and a 1992 peated Irish single malt from Cooley! – $80
- Glorious Grains – Thursday, October 18th, 7PM – Looking for an old whisky that is also excellent value? There are some glorious old grain whiskies out there and you need to give them a closer look! – $50
- The Ginessaince – Tuesday, November 6t, 7PM – Gin is well into its new Golden Age. We’ll highlight some of the best local, craft and extremely small batch gins, and dabble in a few gin cocktails. Plus we’ll have a special expert guest! – $30
- Fall Single Malt Festival I – Thursday, November 8th, 7PM – Our world famous, ever popular, Fall Single Malt Festival is back. Limited to 100 participants, we will feature nearly as many whiskies. Oh, and it includes a KWM logo Glencairn glass! – $65
- Fall Single Malt Festival II – Thursday, November 15th, 7PM – This event is so popular, we had to offer a second night… The evening is limited to just 100 participants and will feature nearly as many whiskies. Oh, and it includes a KWM logo Glencairn glass! – $65
- Masters of Malt – Thursday, November 29th, 7PM – Nothing but the oldest, rarest and most special whiskies are showcased at this tasting. Truly the Masters of Malt! – $125
- Merry Mex-mas – Tuesday, December 2, 7PM – We’ll celebrate the approach of Christmas like other Canadian Snowbirds by heading south! Join us in Oaxaca – beat the cold and stay festive with Mezcal and Mezcal cocktails. Feliz Navidad! – $35
You can register for the tastings by phone 403-283-8000, in-store and online!
Blow Out Pricing on WM Cadenhead
SAVE 15-25% on 12 Cadenhead Small Batch Whiskies
We have 11 new Cadenhead Small Batch whiskies (next section), but before we can bring them all in, we need to clear out some of the old ones first. We have identified 12 Cadenhead Small Batch releases to blow out. They are on sale for 15-25% off.
Here is the list, descriptions and tastings notes are on the KWM Web site:
- Cadenhead Small Batch Strathclyde 1989 – $230 – SAVE 25% – 3 Left
- Cadenhead Small Batch Tullibardine 1993 – $215 – SAVE 25% – 3 Left
- Cadenhead Small Batch Linkwood 1992 – $225 – SAVE 25% – 2 Left
- Cadenhead Small Batch Port Dundas 1988 – $230 – SAVE 20%
- Cadenhead Small Batch Strathisla 1997 – $170 – SAVE 20% – 4 Left
- Cadenhead Small Batch Glen Grant 1992 – $225 – SAVE 20% – 1 Left
- Cadenhead Small Batch Glendullan 1996 – $175 – SAVE 20%
- Cadenhead Small Batch Speyside 1991 – $225 – SAVE 20%
- Cadenhead Small Batch North British 1985 – $260 – SAVE 20%
- Cadenhead Small Batch Caledonian 1987 – $365 – SAVE 15%
- Cadenhead Small Batch Glenrothes 2002 – $130 – SAVE 15% – 5 Left
- Cadenhead Small Batch Burnside 1987 – $320 – SAVE 15% – 4 Left
Thank You for Reading the Malt Messenger!
If you have any whisky questions or comments concerning The Malt Messenger please contact me by e-mail, phone, or drop by the store.
All of the products mentioned in THE MALT MESSENGER can be purchased in store, over the phone or from our website at www.kensingtonwinemarket.com. All prices quoted in the Malt Messenger are subject to change and don’t include GST. In the case of discrepancies in pricing, the price in our in store point of sale will be taken as correct.
Thanks for reading the Malt Messenger.
Kensington Wine Market
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Article source: http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2018/09/kensington-wine-market-malt-messenger-bulletin-by-andrew-ferguson-fall-tasting-schedule-whisky-advent-2018-scotch-whisky-news/