Have you heard the news? We are having a 2 day
this weekend to give thanks, all of our single malts are at least 10% off with some up to 30% off! The sale is only in store and online, no phone orders. Single Malts discounted more than 10% are detailed below.
Also coming up in the next week are a number of exciting events. This Thursday at Kensington Wine Market is our biannual Raucous Rums tasting, where we’ll sample some of the finest sipping rums in Alberta. At the time of writing, there are just 6 spots left, $50/person. Then on Friday we have our first of a number of distillery specific tastings and whisky dinners; Buchanan at Buchanans! The BenRiach/Glendronach Whisky Dinner at Buchanan’s Chop House on Friday October 18 at 7PM will be hosted by the Brand Ambassador for both distilleries, Mr. Stewart Buchanan. Some of our customers have taken calling it “Buchanan at Buchanans”, wish we’d thought of that. The dinner will feature a range of BenRiachs stretching back to 1976 and the second edition of the Glendronach Grandeur. Most of the spots have already been sold! Tickets are $150 and can be bought at: https://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/tastings/register.php or by phone, 403-283-8000. If you’ve never sampled some of the 1970′s and 80′s vintage Benriachs, you owe it to yourself to check some of them out.
There are a couple of other interesting and noteworthy whisky events this coming week that I’d also like to give a shout out regarding. Georgie Bell, Global Brand Ambassador for the Scotch Malt Whisky Society is in town for two nights this coming week. She is conducting a Scotch, Chocolate Perfume pairing on Tuesday night October 15 for the Femmes Fatale YYC brown spirits club. Details on this ladies only event can be found at: http://femmesfatalesyyc.webs.com/events.
The following night, Wednesday October 16, Georgie will be hosting the Scotch Malt Whisky Society partner bar launch at the Brasserie Kensingtonin Calgary. The event will run from 6:30 until 8PM, and guests will have the opportunity to sample some never before released SMWS bottles. 59.43: Caramel Swirl Ice Cream, the first of the 30th Anniversary bottlings available in Canada, and which sold out instantly last month, will also be on offer. For more details and to register please visit: http://www.smws.ca/whisky-tastings/scotch-malt-whisky-society-launch-at-the-brasserie-kensington/.
A similar launch, also hosted by Georgie Bell, will also take place at the Society’s first partner bar launch in Vancouver, at Fets Whisky Kitchen on Monday October 21. Details for that event can be found here: http://www.smws.ca/whisky-tastings/fets-whisky-kitchen-launch/. I hope you enjoy this Malt Messenger Bulletin, and that we see you this weekend for the sale, or at one of the amazing events next week!
Slainte! Andrew Ferguson Kensington Wine Market PS- PS – Don’t forget you can follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/scotch_guy and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/scotch.guy.1 .
BenRiach/Glendronach Whisky Dinner w/ Stewart Buchanan
“Buchanan @ Buchanans” – Friday October 18 – 7PM – $150
The rise of BenRiach and Glendronach over the last decade has been impressive. BenRiach has gone from relative obscurity with banal bottlings, to one of the most innovative and interesting distilleries in Scotland. They purchased BenRiach in 2004, re-branded it and almost overnight the new whiskies released caught the public’s imagination. Over the last 9 years, respect for the distillery has continued to grow. By 2008 they were in a position to scoop up another distillery from Chivas Brothers Glendronach, which they’ve also successfully re-branded. The new Glendronachs caught on even more quickly than the BenRiachs and at least in our store, are some of our best selling whiskies. This year, BenRiach Distillery Co., the shell company for both distilleries, made another acquisition purchasing Glenglassaugh.
Stewart Buchanan, the recently appointed travelling Brand Ambassador for BenRiach and Glendronach Distilleries will be in Calgary for a special whisky tasting dinner Friday October 18th at Buchanan’s Chophouse. Stewart got his start in the industry on the production side and was serving as BenRiachs production manager when he was asked to take on the role of Brand Ambassador. With more than 20 years working in the whisky industry, and having come on board at BenRiach when the distillery was reopened, Stewart has a unique insight into the BenRiach and Glendronach whiskies we’ll be sampling. We’ll sample 3 whiskies from the Glendronach range before moving into some vintage releases of BenRiach. In addition to the whiskies participants will enjoy a 3 course meal prepared by Buchanan’s Chophouse.
Here is the list of whiskies we’ll be sampling:
1. Glendronach Cask Strength Batch 2
2. Glendronach Parliament 21 Year
3. Glendronach Grandeur Batch 2
4. BenRiach 1998 Cask 7633 – Peated Virgin American Oak Finish
5. BenRiach 1983 Cask 296 – Hogshead Cask
6. BenRiach 1978 Cask 1047 – Moscatel Finish
7. BenRiach 1977 Cask 1031 – Moscatel Finish
8. BenRiach 1976 Cask 2013 – Classic Speyside
You can register for this tasting at https://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/tastings/register.php, or by calling 403-283-8000.
Giving Thanks 2 Day Sale!
Save at least 10-30% on all whiskies!
• Sale will be in store and online only, Friday October 11th and Saturday October 12th.
• No phone orders, please order over the web, by email or in store.
• All in stock single malts are 10% off save for Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottlings.
• Some whiskies are discounted between 15-30%, please refer to the list below.
• We will honour the pricing on exclusive whiskies we sell out of in store.
• Payment must be provided at the time of purchase.
• In the event of a discrepancy in price between this email and our Point of Sale, the latter will be taken as correct.
SAVE 15% ON:
1. Benromach 2004 KWM Cask
2. Benromach 2005 KWM Cask
3. Nikka Pure Malt White
4. Nikka Yoichi 15 Year
5. Nikka Pure Malt Black
6. Nikka Miyagikyo 15 Year
7. Nikka Miyagikyo 2002
8. Nikka Yoichi 1989
9. Nikka 1998 Coffey Malt
10. Nikka 2000 Coffey Mal
11. BenRiach Authenticus 25 Year
12. Hammer Head Czech Single Malt 1989
13. Berry’s Blue Hanger
14. BenRiach 17 Year Septendicem
15. Karuizawa Asama 1999 2000
16. Duthies Caol Ila 17 Year
17. Duthies Springbank 11 Year
18. Duthies Glen Ord 16 Year
19. Duthies Bruichladdich 20 Year
20. Duthies Royal Lochnagar 10 Year
21. Duthies Glen Scotia 12 Year
22. Kavalan Solist Vinho
23. Kavalan Solist Fino
24. MacKinlay’s the Journey
25. Signatory Ben Nevis 1990
26. Signatory Royal Lochnagar 1991
27. Signatory Dalmore 1990
28. Signatory Teaninich 1983
29. GM Glen Albyn 1976
30. Chichibu The Peated
31. Chichibu Floor Malted
32. Chichibu Mizunara
33. Jura Paps Collection (only 1 left!)
34. OR Port Ellen 30Yr
35. Celebration of the Cask Bladnoch 1990
36. Celebration of the Cask Girvan 1989
37. Fettercairn 30 Year
SAVE 20% ON:
1. Tomintoul 1976
2. Karuizawa 1969
3. Dalwhinnie 25
4. GM Private Collection Glenlivet 1954
SAVE 25% ON:
1. Glen Garoich MS Cask
2. Port Ellen 12th Release
3. BenRiach 1977 2588
4. GM Private Collection Glenlivet 1963
5. Glenglassaugh North American Cask
SAVE 30% ON:
1. Glenglassaugh 1972 KWM (off off the original $699.99 retail)
2. Abhainn Dearg First Edition
3. GM Glen Grant 1952 60 Year Diamond Jubilee
Unconventional Scotch Malt Whisky Society Events
Calgary and Vancouver
Georgie Bell, Global Brand Ambassador for the Scotch Malt Whisky Society will be in Western Canada for three events beginning next week:
1. A Sensory Scotch Experience – Scotch, Chocolate and Perfume Tasting for the Femmes Fatales YYC – Tuesday October 15 – Details: http://femmesfatalesyyc.webs.com/events
2. SMWS Brasserie Kensington Partner Bar Lauch – Wednesday October 16 – $20 – 6:30-8:00 – Details: http://www.smws.ca/whisky-tastings/scotch-malt-whisky-society-launch-at-the-brasserie-kensington/
3. SMWS Fets Whisky Kitchen Partner Bar Lauch – Monday October 21 – Details: http://www.smws.ca/whisky-tastings/fets-whisky-kitchen-launch/ (WI will be there! )
Thank You for Reading the Malt Messenger!
If you have any whisky questions or comments concerning The Malt Messenger please contact me by e-mail, phone, or drop by the store.
All of the products mentioned in THE MALT MESSENGER can be purchased in store, over the phone or from our website at www.kensingtonwinemarket.com. All prices quoted in the Malt Messenger are subject to change, don’t include GST. In the case of discrepancies in pricing, the price in our in store point of sale will be taken as correct.
Thanks for reading the Malt Messenger.
Kensington Wine Market
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ferguson’s Whisky Tours
Article source: http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2013/10/malt-messenger-bulletin-thanks-giving-sale-two-exciting-tastings-whisky-news/