Sentebale Polo Cup Presented by Royal Salute World Polo Celebrated With Royal Flair in Abu Dhabi – Scotch Whisky News
Sentebale Polo Cup Presented by Royal Salute World Polo Celebrated With Royal Flair in Abu Dhabi
Today, Prince Harry was at Ghantoot Polo Racing Club as he took part in the Sentebale Polo Cup presented by Royal Salute World Polo in Abu Dhabi. Royal Salute Polo Ambassador and former England Captain Malcolm Borwick played for the third time alongside Prince Harry, who was awarded as the Most Valuable Player. The Sentebale Huntsman team took home the trophy, which was presented by English actress and former model Sienna Guillory, with a victory of 5-4 over the St Regis Team.This year’s Polo Cup, the fourth consecutive partnership for Sentebale and Royal Salute, again drew a high profile crowd who travelled from all over the world. Distinguished guests who gathered at the renowned Ghantoot Polo Racing Club to watch exhibition polo at its finest included; Royal Salute representative His Grace Torquhil Ian Campbell, the 13th Duke of Argyll, former Downtown Abbey actor Dan Stevens and English actress and former model Sienna Guillory.Other guests also attending included Sir Jackie Stewart, newly engaged couple Geri Halliwell and Christian Horner, Lina and Bassam Samman, former Miss Australia Jessica Kahawaty.Speaking of his work for Sentebale, during the dinner speech Prince Harry commented: “The money raised this evening will go towards teaching many more HIV-positive young people how to live with the virus. Work on the Mamohato Children¹s Centre in Thaba Basu, Lesotho, is well underway. The centre is due to be complete next year and will enable us to reach four times as many children than we are currently able to.”Malcolm Borwick, Captain of the Sentebale Huntsman Team and Royal Salute Ambassador commented: “It is a privilege to play polo in support of Sentebale; a charity who is helping the lives of the children of Lesotho. It has been a great honour to play at the renowned Ghantoot Polo Raching Club in Abu Dhabi, alongside many friends of mine. Royal Salute have continued to support polo on a global scale through the Royal Salute World Polo Series and special events alongside great causes like this. It is great to see what the brand is doing to raise the profile of the sport.”
Neil Macdonald, Brand Director, Royal Salute commented: “Royal Salute is honoured to be partnering with Sentebale for the fourth year, and to see Sentebale Huntsman take the title. Royal Salute is a leading international supporter of polo through its Royal Salute World Polo platform, hosting prestigious events across Asia, the Americas and Europe, featuring some of the world’s best polo players. We are thrilled to be in Abu Dhabi supporting such a noble charity.”
Royal Salute has a global programme of polo sponsorship spanning four continents. The whisky’s involvement with polo is founded on the game’s incredible power and grace; Royal Salute’s signature style is the combination of power and grace – a style developed and carried on by the legacy of Colin Scott and the three Master Blenders who preceded him since 1953. Power and grace not only defines the elegance, richness and complexity of Royal Salute whiskies, but also the character of the brand demonstrated by its support of the honourable sport of polo.
To follow the event, please use #SPC2014 and @Sentebale. Follow the journey and be a part of the polo season with http://www.royalsalute.com/
Sentebale Huntsman Team
Saeed Bin Drai
Abdulla Ben DesmalSt. Regis Opposition Team
Mohammed Al Habtoor
Amr ZedanAbout Sentebale • HIV is the second cause of death amongst adolescents aged 10 – 19 globally and is the number one cause of death in Africa. This is a generation that urgently needs help, for their future and the future prosperity of Africa. In Lesotho, one in three children are orphans and there are believed to be over 40,000 adolescents living with HIV.
• Sentebale, co-founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso in 2006, provides healthcare and education to vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty in Lesotho, southern Africa.
• Sentebale’s flagship programme is the Mamohato Programme, which was developed in response to a serious gap in HIV/AIDS education provision for young people in Lesotho. A study by Sentebale showed that HIV-positive children were isolated and received little support in their homes and communities in relation to the social and psychological challenges they faced; stigma deemed to be the greatest hurdle for these children. The programme offers a residential weeklong camp and follow up monthly clubs that empowers these children to address the stigma and health issues surrounding them enabling them to live a healthy and fulfilled lives.
• In 2010 the Mamohato programme was highlighted as a model of international best practice by the United Nations. The programme was quoted as being “effective, having ethical soundness, cost effective, relevant, innovative and sustainable.”
• Sentebale’s strategy is to provide support to these children and young people, and reach many more children over the coming years. The Mamohato Children’s centre, due to be completed in next year, is the embodiment of that scale up in Lesotho and the platform for expansion into other affected southern African countries.
• Sentebale, means ‘forget me not’ in Sesotho, was set up in memory of the princes’ mothers and as a reminder not to forget the children of Lesotho.
• Lesotho’s main operations are based in Lesotho with the fundraising and management team based in London, headed up by Chief Executive, Cathy Ferrier. Both Princes remain active patrons of Sentebale.Twitter: @Sentebale
About Royal Salute
Royal Salute is the world’s only exclusively prestige Scotch whisky brand, with a range of luxury blended whiskies matured for a minimum of 21 years. Created in 1953 to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, Royal Salute’s signature style is the combination of power and grace – a style developed and upheld by Colin Scott and legacy of the three Master Blenders who preceded him since 1953. Power and grace not only defines the elegance, richness and complexity of Royal Salute whiskies, but also the character of the brand demonstrated by its support of the honourable sport of polo. Today, Royal Salute is a leading international supporter of polo through its Royal Salute World Polo platform, hosting prestigious events across Asia, the Americas and Europe, featuring some of the world’s best polo players.
About Chivas Brothers
Chivas Brothers is the Scotch whisky and premium gin business of Pernod Ricard – the world’s co-leader in wine and spirits. Chivas Brothers is the global leader in luxury Scotch whisky and premium gin. Its portfolio includes Chivas Regal, Ballantine’s, Beefeater Gin, The Glenlivet, Royal Salute, Aberlour, Plymouth Gin, Longmorn, Scapa, 100 Pipers, Clan Campbell, Something Special and Passport.